5 August 2013

Gap - Hiding Your Sins

Last week Wednesday at Gap we spoke about how we cover up our sins. 

I told the kids the story of David and Bathsheba, (2 Samuel 11 - 12). When it was time to tell them the story and give the talk, I sat on the floor with them and then told the the story using puppets as each person in the story.   At the end of the story I went into the talk by explaining how David had covered up his sin by killing Bathsheba's husband and how this made God angry. 

I used ice-cream, salt and caramel sauce to illustrate how when we cover up a mistake we  end up with a mess.  I put ice-cream in a bowl, and added salt.  I asked the kids if they liked salt on their ice-cream and they all said no.  I then said, the salt is the mistake we make.  When we steal something, cheat, or like David commit adultery.  When we want to cover up the fact that we did something wrong and sinned, we often hide it by doing something else.  I added the caramel sauce to the ice-cream and covered in salt. 

I then asked if any of the kids wanted to taste it. Two brave kids came and tasted it and they both ran out the room very quickly to spit it out.  

I wrapped up by saying that we don't have to cover up our sins, because it makes if worse than what it is.  God wants us to go to him and to ask for forgiveness and then he cleanses us of our sin.  sometimes we have some sin that has been there for a very long time and we think that God can't forgive that but he can.  It's like a glass that has dried milk stuck in it, (I held this up) when we put it into hot water the milk comes loose, (I dunked the glass into hot water).  God is like the water, washing our dirty dried sin away.  

I had asked one of the elders from our church to come and do communion with the kids.  He explained the story so well to the kids and had them all captivated by what he was saying. It was AWESOME.  We then went into a time of silence and the kids were invited to come up and receive communion.  They were given bread and then had to dunk it into grape juice. 

After communion we prayed and then went off to small groups. 

I don't know how to explain what happened at Gap on Wednesday, but it was literally like the Holy Spirit just fell over the room and kids were soaking it up.  They were so attentive during the talks.  I was completely blown away.  

I really praise God for how He is working in their lives, even when we don't always see it. 

xKx

No comments:

Post a Comment