5 August 2013

THE BET

I'm not sure if it was a moment of pure stupidity that made me think that I could actually beat Dave at a computer game or if it was one of bravery and courage to actually challenge someone who is WAY better than me at something.

Dave has been playing a racing game called "FlatOut" and I told him that I would beat him at him.  "FlatOut is a series of demolition derby-style racing games" (Wikipedia:2013)  To me it's a racing game where people drive into each other, push you off the road and do what ever they can to beat you.

When I heard that it was a racing game, I must admit that I did think that it can't be that difficult to learn how to play and then beat Dave. BUT I was wrong. The game is not that easy, it's pretty challenging and it frustrates me that I suck at it so badly. 

On Friday I got the game and  Dave and I had our first "LAN".  We played 10 laps of the game and I obviously lost. Dave even managed to lap me without me realising it, but it was fun.

On Saturday night I thought that I would practice and after about 30 minutes of playing really badly and not winning, or even coming anywhere worth mentioning in the game I got SUPER frustrated and switched the game off.  I then got all despondent and was like, "I'm never going to beat Dave"

It's two days later and I have decided to revisit the game and play some more.  I am not going to get despondent, and I am going to beat him.  This may be pure stubbornness speaking - but I am determined to beat him.


The conditions of the bet are:
  1. I must beat Dave in a year, (2 August 2013 - 2 August 2014).
  2. If I win we get to spend a day at Butterfly World.
  3. If Dave wins I have to play another computer game of his choice.



I think playing this game is more than just about my stubbornness to beat Dave. It's also about the fact that we have finally found a game to play together. 

Dave loves playing computer games and I have never ever been into it. Dave has been asking for months about games and what I want to play etc.  I told him that I would play a game with him, since I think it's important o show and interest in what your boyfriend likes doing, finding out about it and possibly even trying it out.  You don't have to do it forever though, I just think it's important to try it out.  I also think that playing the game with Dave is more important than beating him - it's a way that we can spend time together doing something he likes doing.

xKx






No comments:

Post a Comment