8 December 2015

We hosted our own Shabbat dinner

Last week Friday David and I hosted our first Shabbat dinner with some of our close friends. While I was preparing for the big event I learnt SO much about Shabbat and the Sabbath as the way Jewish people understand it. The main reason for wanting to do this and learn more was because we, Christians should also take a Sabbath, (a day of rest) just like Jesus did and God did. 

The main reason Jewish people have a Shabbat dinner is to remember who God is, how he has provided for them and to praise Him. This is done with your family and friends, basically your community. Over supper you catch up with "your" people with what has happened over the week, share about what God is doing or has done in your life that week. I think this is super awesome!

Before supper two candles are lit, one is to remember that God is the creator of all the heaven, that he rescued His people from Egypt. The second one is to remember to set it apart and to keep it holy. After this there is a wine/grape juice blessing before the challah, (bread) is broken and another blessing is given. I lit the candles and David did the wine and challah blessing. I liked how he put a bit of Christian spin on it and read from both the new and old testament of the bible.

If you want to read more about the traditions around Shabbat, you can read it here.  A friend of mine sent the link through to me and I found it super informative when I did my preparations.

My favourite part of the whole evening was spending the time with some of my close friends over a meal.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the table, the food or the evening. I was too busy getting everything ready and then being with my friends that I totally forgot to take photos.

xKx 

No comments:

Post a Comment