4 February 2015

My mind was blown by feet washing...

The other day I was reading John 13:1 - 16 and I had a new thought about the whole feet washing thing.

The most obvious reason behind feet washing is that the peoples feet were dirty. They walked around in sandals on sand all day long... your feet were bound to get dirty. The other, most explained reason is humbling yourself to serve someone, no matter who they are.

In John 13:16 Jesus is explaining to his disciples why he washed their feet and he says; " I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message."

After I read that my mind was blown! We know Jesus came to serve, (Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God, as to something to cling to. Instead, he gave up the his divine privileges, he took the humble position of a slave and was born as human being - Philippians 2:5-7). Jesus did not come to earth to parade around like a king, he came to serve the people in love.

When people visited people back in the day the lowest servant, probably a gentile, would have to wash the guests feet.... So lets think about this. Jesus who was hosting his disciples for supper, got down on his hands and knees and washed the disciples feet. The job of a servant. Jesus who is mighty, great and lord kneels down and washes their feet. This makes me go "WOW!"

After I had spent time processing this I was totally blow away at how Jesus humbled himself to do this BUT by washing their feet it was like he was saying to the disciples I am your equal and I don't think that you are less or greater than me. Jesus certainly is greater than them but he was like, I love you and I'm going to wash your feet because actually you're not less than me.

This challenges me to see the world more like Jesus - no one is less than me, they are all equal. I need to humble myself and serve people where I can treat them with love so that they feel like they are my equal.

xKx



No comments:

Post a Comment