26 April 2013

But I don't have peace of mind. And if you don't have that, you have nothing

Last night I watched Alfie. It's a movie about a British player in America.  The main reason he's a player is becasue he struggles to commit to one girl and I also think that he's looking for more in life, but we never find out what that reallyis. 

 I had nothing else to do and I saw the movie on the shelf, so I thought "Why not" and put it on as snuggled under the duvet to watch the movie.



The most profound line in the movie is right at the end when Alfie says, "What have I got… really… some money in my pocket, some nice threads, a fancy car at my disposal, and I am single… unattached, free as a bird. I don’t depend on nobody. Nobody depends on me. My life’s my own. But I don’t have peace of mind. And if you don’t have that, you have nothing"

The last bit... "But I don't have peace of mind. And if you don't have that, you have nothing" really stayed with me.  I was like, that is so true.  We can have everything, yet be as restless as ever. We could be living the busiest, craziest lives and be surrounded by awesome people and adventures all the time but without peace you'll still be restless looking for something more... more exciting, more adventurous, more daring etc.

A while ago I never had this peace of mind, I was always restless and always looking for the next adventure. I always needed to have a plan, something to do or somewhere to go to fill that restlessness. I've discovered that the only thing that can remove the restlessness and fill that void I like to fill is Jesus.  He can give you peace of mind. Matthew 11;28 says: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest for your soul" This is so true. 

Once I had gone to Jesus ans asked him to give me peace, did I experience real peace.  I wasn't seeking the next crazy adventure anymore and I was more than happy to just spend time alone. I am now able to spend time with my thoughts and just be. I no longer have the desire to find something to do, just to have something to do.  It's one of the greatest feelings ever. 

I still have moments when I loose focus and dash off, but then I remember that the only one that can fill me and stop the "rush" is Jesus. When I remember this and do it,  I once again have peace of mind. 

xKx






No comments:

Post a Comment