9 June 2015

Choosing My Husband Every Day

On Sunday we watched a terrible movie called This is where I leave you. I don't really get the whole point of the movie and bits of it was funny, but the stuff that made it terrible was how married people in the movie had affairs willy-nilly instead of trying to fix their already broken marriages. There was also quite a bit of bad language - but that just added to my "this movie was terrible". All I saw in the movie was how people chose to stop loving their spouse, stopped choosing them and then went and chose someone else.

When is it not ok to choose your spouse? When is it ok to choose someone else? In my world - never!


David and I got married just about a year ago, (more about our wedding) and there has not been one day where I have not chosen him. There has also not been a single day where I have not chosen to love him. Love is not a feeling - it's more of a choice. It's something I choose to do.

I choose to love David because Jesus loved me first, (1 John 4:19). Jesus chose to love us. If we look at who he spent time with - the tax collectors, the prostitutes, the sick, the social outcastes - all the people who were seen as unlovable. Jesus chose to reach out to them and love them, that's why I choose to choose to love David - even on days when he's frustrating me and it's hard.

Choosing your spouse also helps you to fight temptation when it comes your way. The devil has a funny way of presenting things to distract you it can be looking at something you shouldn't, holding someones gaze for too long etc.. You can fight these attempts of the devil to get you to stumble by just reminding yourself that you choose your spouse.

When you choose someone it means that you are committed to that person for forever. It means that you won't look around to see if there is anyone better around you. It's choosing to honour and respect them and it's choosing to love them every day.

How do you do this practically - for me it's a simple as saying each morning "I choose you, David"

I think that when we choose our spouse daily it just strengthens our foundation, makes temptations fade away and gives God the glory in our marriage.

xKx


No comments:

Post a Comment