11 May 2015

What I learnt about mountain biking part 2...

A few weeks ago David and I attempted mountain biking for the first time, http://alittlebitofcrazi.blogspot.com/2015/04/what-i-learnt-about-mountain-bikining.html. This weekend we attempted our first fun ride out in Somerset West. It turned out to be a lot more fun than I imagined.

Mountain biking and what I learnt this weekend...
  1. When arriving for a race you don't need to arrive 3 hours earlier than the start time. You don't need more than an hour to set up you bike and register for the race.
  2. It's ok to walk up a  hill - there is no shame in getting off an walking up a steep, scary and rocky hill. It's way better than falling down it.
  3. Carry spare tubes - the chances of getting a puncture is a lot higher than on the road.
  4. Carry a pump or an air bomb thing to inflate your tyre.
  5. Don't let the professional riders freak you out by their speed.
  6. Don't let grumpy riders throw you off while cycling - you're there to have fun.
  7. There are nice people doing the race for fun and are willing to help you when things go wrong.
More about the race...


The race was called The Nissen TrailSeeker Western Cape Series #1 Helderberg.

 We cycled through three, (I think) wine estates in Somerset West and the views were breathtakingly beautiful. There were moments where I just wanted to look at the view. The terrain was nice to cycle on - it was mostly grass, gravel and sand. The only bit of technical was a rocky hill which I walked up, as did many other cyclists. I even managed to get a puncture. luckily it was 4km from the end and a nice couple stopped and gave us a bomb to put air in my tyre which got us to the end. I found some of the down hill parts a bit scary - but I'm sure in time I will get over that.

My favourite thing about the race was that I got to cycle in a beautiful place with David. It was really nice to just be outside chatting, encouraging each other and having fun.


xKx

No comments:

Post a Comment