28 April 2015

What I learnt about mountain biking this weekend

 
David and I went camping this past weekend.  I'll do a post about this later this week. For now I want to tell you about the adrenaline filled, fun and disastrous attempt at mountain biking I had. David was somewhat more successful than me... but soon I will decide if mountain biking really is for me.... 


 We entered the Kogelberg Nature Reserve on Sunday morning at around 10am and headed off along the mountain bike trail, (Palmiet Trail). The view is stunning but the trail was somewhat challenging. I fell twice - once into a ditch and once down an uphill section. The ditch appeared when I tried to stop myself, I kind of leaned over and there was no more ground to stand on. The second fall was way more painful and resulted in my giving up after about 3km down the trail and heading back to the car.  Even though I fell and learnt A LOT about mountain biking this weekend I can say now - two days later - that it was fun attempting it and I am keen to try again before giving up and sticking to road cycling.

 
 


 
The Lessons I learnt...

1. Mountain biking is not for sissies.
2. You will fall - don't be scared of falling because it will happen.
3. You will get hurt when you fall - I have some pretty epic bruises from this weekend.
4. It is harder than you will imagine it to be.
5. Don't start on an intermediate route when you're a beginner - the reason for this is you have a greater chance of falling.
6. It has an element of fun to it.... this was realised once I could move around with a lot less pain than before.  

David and I have entered a 20km race which is on 9 May... It's a fun ride so I don't think it will be too hectic... but it may be the deciding factor for me if this is for me.


xKx




No comments:

Post a Comment