11 March 2015

pinterest - anxiety - unmet expectations

I have Pinterest and I love it - maybe even a little obsessed with it in that it consumes a LARGE chunk of my time and now my thoughts and how I want things to be.

I started a Pinterest account around about the time I started wedding planning and all the warning bells went off my heard when I saw all the "pretty" and "perfect" pictures of wedding photos, dresses, décor etc. I wanted my wedding to be as perfect as the pictures I saw. I think, if I remember correctly, I even had to take a step back at one point and say to myself, "my wedding is not going to be like that - it simply can't". This started a process of letting go of my imagined perfect wedding and a new focus was put on the reality of what David's and my wedding will and can actually be like. I personally think our wedding was way better than what Pinterest said a perfect wedding should look like anyway...

Now that David and I have a home of our own Pinterest expectations have once again reared it's head again in my life. I see all the DIY things you can make for home to make it the perfectly decorated home and I want to make my home look like that. It becomes this all consuming thing to have "perfect" according to Pinterest and when I can't achieve this because we can't afford it or there's not enough time in our already busy calendar to make the things I get filled with anxiety. Luckily I have David who gets through to me in my panicked state and reminds me that we don't need a perfect Pinterest house and my expectations are out of line for me to calm down, but a couple of days or weeks later and I find myself filled with anxiety caused by my unrealistic expectations found on Pinterest.

As I was typing this Romans 12:2 popped into my head, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will."

Is Pinterest another way of conforming to the world? I think it can be - it causes me to want perfect according to what Pinterest is saying perfect is, which is made up of a bunch of people posting things based on what they think is perfect. Therefore when I get filled with anxiety because I don't have that thing or can't make that thing to fill a random space in my home to make it perfect I'm just conforming to what everyone else says a perfect mantle piece should look like.

I want my house to be Katherine and David perfect and not the worlds version of perfect... I think it's time I took a step back from Pinterest to realign my thinking to what God's idea of Katherine and David perfect is...

xKx



No comments:

Post a Comment